When the summer sun blazes overhead, finding shade in your garden becomes a top priority. Luckily, Redwood Nursery has the perfect shade solutions to help you create a cool and inviting oasis right in your own backyard. From vibrant annuals to exotic tropicals and enduring perennials, we have a wide range of plants that thrive in New England’s summer heat while providing much-needed shade and beauty.
Annual Plants for Shade:
- Begonias: With their lush foliage and stunning blooms, begonias are a popular choice for shaded areas. Wax begonias (Begonia semperflorens) and tuberous begonias (Begonia x tuberhybrida) are both excellent options that can handle the summer heat while providing a burst of color to your garden. Their wide range of colors, including vibrant reds, pinks, and whites, will brighten up any shady spot.
- Impatiens: Known for their ability to thrive in shade, impatiens (Impatiens walleriana) are a classic choice for adding color to your summer garden. These low-maintenance annuals come in a variety of shades, from soft pastels to bold jewel tones, making it easy to create a vibrant and eye-catching display. They bloom profusely throughout the season, even in areas with limited sunlight.
- Coleus: Don’t forget to include coleus (Plectranthus scutellarioides) in your annual shade garden. With their vibrant and intricately patterned foliage, coleus plants add a touch of drama and visual interest. They come in a wide range of colors and leaf shapes, allowing you to create striking combinations and add a unique flair to your shady spaces.
Perennial Favorites for Shade:
- Hostas: Known for their impressive foliage, hostas (Hosta spp.) are a go-to choice for shady areas in New England gardens. These hardy perennials offer a wide range of leaf sizes, shapes, and colors, from deep greens to variegated patterns. They not only provide shade but also add texture and visual interest to your garden.
- Heuchera: Another fantastic option for shade-loving perennials is heuchera (Heuchera spp.), also known as coral bells. These plants feature stunning foliage in shades of green, burgundy, silver, and even vibrant lime green. Heuchera adds a pop of color to your garden and pairs beautifully with other shade-loving plants. They also produce delicate, bell-shaped flowers on tall stems, attracting pollinators to your garden.
- Astilbes: With their feathery plumes of flowers in shades of pink, red, and white, astilbes (Astilbe spp.) bring elegance and beauty to shaded areas. These perennial plants thrive in moist, well-drained soil and can handle the heat of the New England summer while adding a touch of softness to your garden.
Creating a shaded oasis in your summer garden is not only aesthetically pleasing but also provides a cool and comfortable space to relax and unwind. The annual plants, such as begonias, impatiens, and coleus, offer vibrant colors and continuous blooms. Meanwhile, perennial favorites like hostas, heuchera, and astilbes provide enduring beauty and texture.
When selecting plants for your garden, it’s essential to consider the specific requirements of each variety and the unique conditions in your New England garden. Be sure to provide adequate water and maintain a suitable soil environment to keep these shade-loving plants healthy and thriving throughout the summer months.
Visit Redwood Nursery to explore our extensive collection of shade-loving plants, including begonias, impatiens, coleus, hostas, heuchera, and astilbes. Our knowledgeable staff will be delighted to assist you in selecting the perfect plants for your summer garden, ensuring a cool and inviting sanctuary even in the hottest months.