The scent of crisp leaves, a nip in the air, and the hues of autumn signal that fall has arrived. But it’s not just about autumnal treats and warm knitwear; it’s a fantastic season to enrich your garden. At Redwood Nursery, we’re passionate about the transformative power of composting. Dive into our special fall composting guide to make the most of this season’s organic riches.
Why is Fall a Perfect Time for Composting?
- Gift from the Trees: Autumn blesses us with a wealth of leaves, a carbon-rich resource that pairs seamlessly with nitrogen-laden kitchen scraps.
- Winter-Ready Decomposition: Initiating your compost in the fall means it continues to break down during the cooler months, thanks to the insulating effect it provides to microbial activity.
Begin Your Composting Adventure:
- Location, Location, Location: Opt for a flat, well-drained corner in your garden that remains accessible, even in colder months.
- Proportion is Key: Aim for a compost setup that’s roughly 3x3x3 feet – large enough to foster active decomposition but still easy to manage.
- Bins vs. Bare: While freestanding piles are straightforward, bins deter potential pests. Explore the array of compost bins at Redwood Nursery or experiment with DIY alternatives.
Redwood Nursery’s Top Techniques & Materials:
- Layer Like a Pro: Visualize your compost like a layered dessert. Start with a crunchy, twiggy foundation for optimal aeration, followed by alternating layers of green (nitrogen sources) and brown (carbon sources).
- Oxygenate for Efficiency: Stir your compost every couple of weeks. This aeration expedites the breakdown process. Need equipment? Redwood has an array of tools to help.
- Keep it Moist: Aim for the wetness of a wrung-out sponge. A little dry? Just add water.
- Accelerate with Additives: For quicker decomposition, intersperse layers with some of our trusted compost starters or a touch of garden soil.
Redwood Nursery’s Composting Dos & Don’ts:
Green Gems (Nitrogen-rich):
- Scraps from fruits and vegetables
- Leftover coffee grounds and filters
- Fresh grass snippets
- Plant prunings
Brown Treasures (Carbon-rich):
- Autumn leaves (a garden’s seasonal gift!)
- Hay or straw
- Shavings from untreated wood
- Recyclable cardboard pieces and egg cartons
Steer Clear of:
- Meat, bones, and greasy foods (they’re pest magnets!)
- Plants showing signs of disease
- Weeds bearing seeds
- Animal waste
- Chemical-based products
- Coal by-products
Insider Tips for Prime Fall Composting:
- Leafy Shortcut: Speed up decomposition by pulverizing leaves. Use a mower or come by Redwood Nursery for efficient leaf shredders.
- Maintain a Balance: If you’re using a lot of leaves, remember to add kitchen greens consistently.
- Guard Against Over-Watering: In regions with heavy rainfall, shield your compost with a tarp or check our range for protective options.
- Secure Against Pests: Keep unwanted visitors away with our curated selection of compost bin accessories.
Fall is a season of abundance, and there’s no better time to embark on your composting journey. With expert tips, quality supplies from Redwood Nursery, and a touch of dedication, your garden will be set to flourish come spring. Visit us for personalized advice and all your gardening essentials. Together, let’s cultivate garden magic!