If you’ve ever wanted to spend summer nights surrounded by twinkling flowers under the silvery glow of the moon, then a moon garden might just be the perfect project for you. Moon gardens are enchanting spaces, filled with plants that bloom at night or whose foliage or flowers glow under the moonlight. These gardens create a serene sanctuary, adding a whole new dimension to your nocturnal outdoor experiences.
Redwood Nursery, known for its great selection of plants, offers a variety of choices to help you create your own moon garden. And good news – there’s still plenty available for your summer project!
Step 1: Planning Your Moon Garden
Choose a location in your yard that’s easily accessible and visible from your favorite evening relaxation spot. The garden should be positioned where it gets plenty of moonlight and a little shelter from the wind, if possible. The size of your moon garden can vary according to your space and preference.
Step 2: Choosing Your Plants
When creating a moon garden, the main idea is to select plants with white or light-colored blooms that will reflect moonlight. Silver or gray foliage can also add a shimmering effect. Here are a few options to consider from Redwood Nursery:
- Moonflower (Ipomoea alba): Aptly named, the moonflower opens its large, white blooms at dusk and stays open throughout the night.
- Night-Blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum): This plant fills the garden with a sweet, intoxicating scent when it blooms at night.
- Dusty Miller (Centaurea cineraria): Its silvery-gray foliage beautifully reflects the moonlight.
- Evening Primrose (Oenothera): This plant displays vibrant, yellow or white flowers that open late in the day.
- Night Phlox (Zaluzianskya ovata): Also known as “Midnight Candy”, its fragrant blooms open in the evening.
- White Coral Bells (Heuchera sanguinea ‘Alba’): A perennial plant that produces delicate white flowers and light-colored leaves.
Step 3: Adding Features
In addition to plants, consider adding other elements to enhance your moon garden. Water features, like a small fountain or pond, will reflect the moonlight, creating a shimmering focus point. Decorative elements, such as white or light-colored statues, stones, or gazing balls can also enhance the garden’s glow.
Step 4: Maintenance
Maintain your moon garden as you would any other garden – water and fertilize regularly, trim back overgrown plants, and replace any plants as needed. Remember, Redwood Nursery is always there to help you find replacement plants or provide you with the best maintenance tips.
Step 5: Enjoying Your Moon Garden
Now comes the best part. On a summer night, step out into your moon garden. Observe the way the moonlight illuminates the white blooms, making them seem to glow from within. Breathe in the intoxicating fragrances that these nocturnal flowers release. Listen to the night’s symphony of crickets and nocturnal birds. It’s a unique experience, and one you can enjoy all summer long.
Creating a moon garden provides a fantastic way to enjoy the magic of summer nights, all from the comfort of your own backyard. And with the help of Redwood Nursery, it’s an achievable and delightful project. So why not start today and be ready to bask in the glory of your moon garden for many nights to come.