Manny Vales, owner of Redwood Nursery, is a master at planting trees. With over 45 years of experience in the business, he knows exactly what it takes to ensure a tree thrives in its new home. At Redwood Nursery, we are committed to helping our customers choose the right tree for their specific location and providing the proper planting techniques to ensure its success. Here are five key tips from Manny on how to plant a tree:
- Choose the right tree for the right location: At Redwood Nursery, our knowledgeable staff can help you select a tree that is well-suited for your area based on factors such as mature size, sunlight requirements, and soil type.
- Dig a hole that is the right size: We ensure that the hole is two to three times wider than the root ball, but no deeper than the root ball. This will give the tree’s roots enough room to grow.
- Make sure the tree is straight: We guarantee that the tree is straight when it is being planted, by using a level or by measuring the distance from the trunk to the ground at different points around the tree.
- Backfill the hole with soil: We suggest backfilling the hole with the soil that was removed when digging the hole. We tamp down the soil gently and add a layer of tree fertilizer before backfilling, to provide the tree with necessary nutrients for better establishment.
- Water the tree well: We recommend using a soaker hose to ensure that the tree’s root ball gets plenty of water. Water the tree once a week for the first month, then gradually reduce the frequency as the tree becomes established.
With over 45 years of experience in the industry, Manny Vales and the team at Redwood Nursery are experts in tree planting and care. By choosing Redwood Nursery, you can trust that you will receive the best guidance on how to plant your tree, and the healthiest and most suitable tree for your location. We take pride in providing the highest quality trees and customer service. We also carry a variety of tree fertilizers that can be tailored to your tree species and soil condition. Visit us today and let us help you give your new tree the best chance for a healthy and long life.